Heads up, Tennesseans! The next National Prescription Drug Take-Back Day is taking place on Saturday, April 28. You will have the opportunity to dispose of unused or expired medications at one of many take-back events happening across the state.
National take-back events, which happen twice a year, provide a safe, convenient and reliable way to clean out medicine cabinets. Disposing of unneeded prescriptions can help keep potentially harmful medication out of the wrong hands.
Substances Accepted at Take-Back Events
- Unused or expired prescription medications
- Over-the-counter “solid dosage” medications (such as tablets and caplets)
Substances Not Accepted at Take-Back Events
- Illicit drugs, such as marijuana, heroin and LSD
- Insulin syringes or other medical sharps and needles
- Asthma inhalers
- Iodine-containing medications
- Mercury-containing thermometers
In October 2017, Tennesseans turned in a record number of pounds! Help us make this event even bigger! Have medications you’d like to dispose of? Find a take-back event closest to you HERE.