Red Ribbon Week is October 23rd-30th.
What is Red Ribbon Week?
- Red Ribbon week was started by President Reagan in 1988 and is the largest drug prevention campaign in the nation.
- Started after the death of DEA Special Agent Enrique “Kiki” Camarena. His friend Henry Lozano and Congressman Duncan Hunter wore red ribbons as a tribute to him and to show their opposition to drugs.
How can you show your support?
- Show your support for being drug free by wearing red ribbons, buttons, bracelets and sharing educational resources on drug prevention.
- Have children and parents take the pledge about growing up safe, healthy and drug free
- Have a “wear red” day at school
- Schedule a speaker to talk about the risks associated with drug use
- Deliver drug prevention messages everyday
- Have a poster contest
- More ideas for activities: https://www.redribbon.org/activities
For more information, downloads and an opportunity to order supplies: https://www.redribbon.org/